Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Weekend Update & Sequin Shaker for my Sister...CASE Study #190, FUSION Challenge {Black, White & Yellow or a Sketch or Flowers or...}

Hello all...


“Wibbly wobbly wee, an elephant sat on Aunty C.
Wibbly wobbly wessa, an elephant sat on Tessa.
Wibbly wobbly wonner, an elephant sat on Connor.”

Repeat those verses a zillion times over and yes, that's pretty much a snapshot of my joy-filled,extraordinarily wonderful weekend spent with my niece and nephew.  We covered a lot of territory: haircuts, a visit to the Cabela store (they're quite fascinated by the animal displays, which I find just a wee bit creepy. My nephew's "Moose going to eat me" had me laughing, although given the size of those critters, especially in comparison to his 2' 10.5"  stature - we had measuring moments - I'd have that concern too.  The mountain sheep and goats were all dubbed with family members' names by my niece, except she ran out of them, so my brother was the grizzly bear...hahahahaha!  Perfect!), a trip to Walmart (always entertaining), and that sums up the first evening's shenanigans. Add to the mix a day that also encompassed working until mid-afternoon and a four hour drive, partly in torrential downpour, and a rather tired, slightly bedraggled, but incredibly happy Aunty C arrived at my parents' at 9pm..

Saturday, after some mom-and-me time, round two of kidlet visits: colouring, reading books...and then the adventure of getting them ready for the birthday party, they - and by extension, I - were invited to.  That task alone took the better part of an hour,and let's just say my nephew really need that nap he missed!  He had a couple good cries, but once we had him packed in the van (accompanied by tears and his blankie), and I suggested that maybe "he" should drive, the smiles came back.  The party was cute - all sizes of little and big people - having a good time in the birthday boy's back yard. Foam tube sword fights, a pinata, cake, swing-and-slide set...plenty to keep us entertained.  Following that, back home, where I took on my regal duties as the Queen of Bubble Baths with the two giggly, squirmy "fishies."  Another most excellent day filled with memories to treasure.

Sunday...Mother's Day and my nephew's baptism. At two years old, he was the oldest of the group of babies christened. What well-behaved, and most fashionably dressed, lad he was!  I'm hoping my sister-in-law will send photos my way, at which point I'll let the pictures speak the thousand words I have bubbling up inside! Leaving, as it always is, was hard, but we'll be back on the 23rd.  Birthday party, watching a bike race, play dates...we have plans in the works!  Before I left, I gave the little ones strict orders to hold off on 'growing up' for a while longer; I don't ever want the cuddles and hugs and smooches to end!

Speaking of the 23rd...that's my sister's birthday so I made her a card for an in-person delivery. It's my third sequin shaker, and this time I followed Paulina's advice about adding two layers of tape to allow more room for movement. What a difference!

The two challenges I'm entering offered inspiration that marries wonderfully with my sister's 'colour and style' preferences: black and white, with pops of colour, simple designs. She's always fashionably dressed (in an understated way), always well -coiffed, always calm and poised.  Now, imagine the complete opposite and you have me!  We're quite the pair of sisters...and we're kind of fun, for the most part...usually...

My card is heading to:
CASE Study #190, where Wida's yellow and black lovely card is showcased

My sister's sequin shaker...


Here are the sequins, after a rousing good shaking....


Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!


16 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow, C! Your shaker card is lovely! and fun too!

Irish Cherokee said...

Are you sure you didn't make this for yourself? you seem to be having a lot of fun shaking them. MY TURN. Great job with it. Love the butterflies.

wienerhoneymooners said...

This is AMAZING times infinity!! A SHAKER, I tried abysmally making one once, EPIC fail!!!! This is sublime, and there is that troublemaker butterfly that made me want to buy him and all his friends!!! Well, they are happy now!!!! Love this Miss C!!!!

~amy~ said...

Sounds like yet another fun filled trip!
LOVE your shaker card and so will your sister!

Julia Aston said...

what a lovely shaker card - love the butterflies and the colors of sequins you used - the yellow/gray colors look wonderful! thank you for joining us at Fusion this week!

Susanne Vargas said...

My reader gives me the newest posts first that's why I saw your other card before this one. This is also fabulous even though it doesn't say so ;)
Your niece and nephew are so lucky to have such a wonderful aunt and you are lucky to see them quite often (I know, I know, it's not often enough...)

Shannon J said...

Wibbly wobbly wawesome, this card is awesome!!!! Absolutely love every inch of it!!! Sophisticated, lovely and drop dead gorgeous!! Normally a shaker card adds a whimsical feel but I adore how yours adds an eloquent one - not an easy task but you nailed it! Fabulous card Aunty C!! I can not wait to hear even more weekend stories this weekend!!!

Greta said...

A little teary (happy ones) reading your wonderful family time post! Guess I'm living vicariously through you, Auntie C! Let me know if they manage the "no more growing" for you! Your sister's card is one of the best shakers I've ever seen! You've inspired me to try again!

Dana said...

oohh fabulous butterfly AND shaker card!!! Sounds like you had an awesome fun filled weekend!! Glad you had a great time!!

Kim M said...

This is beautiful Carol! Love how you stamped the butterfly on the background of the shaker part too. :-)

Wida said...

what a beautifully composed card!

Unknown said...

Hey Carol, I have never yet tried a shaker card yet!!! I love your first card with the lovely flowers, but OMG….I did and out loud 'wow' at the butterfly one! It is STUNNING!!!! I adore how there is such a bright coloured butterfly on the exterior which is really of set by the stark contrast of the black and white ones within your shaker. Gorgeous my dear xxxxxxxx

Marlena M. said...

Sounds like you had so much fun! I love hearing your stories~hee! Such a beautiful shaker card~

Marisa said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful :) No wonder the kids hate to see you leave and fight to sit by you! You are wonderful aunty!! Great shaker cards too!

Anita in France said...

What a lovely post, Carol ... delightful tales of a wonderfully special and fun filled weekend! Gorgeous shaker card ... love how you have butterflies on the inside as well as the fabulous dimensional one on the outside! Hugs, Anita :)

Deepti said...

What a fun shaker card, I love the butterflies within the shaker card and of course the big yellow butterfly adds a lot of interest :) thank you for sharing with Fusion !