Saturday, November 2, 2013

Festive Fun...Festive Friday: Santa, Wanna Sketch #10,, Color Throwdown #266, CFC #119: Embossing

The 'snowfall warning' of last night's forecast became reality today, with the flakes beginning to fall early this morning (I know, because I was up at 5:30 am...silliness!), and have been cascading down relentlessly ever since.  Last check on the deck railing: 5 inches, and growing.  My husband and I had a *finally he's home* weekend planned, until yesterday evening.  I picked him up in Banff after his bike ride (pre-snow - a most splendid, warm evening!), and he was on the phone, receiving word that the coach scheduled to facilitate a "Road Tactics and Racing' cycling course (how exciting that sounds...), was unable to make the trip to Calgary, coming as he was from the also snowfall-warned city north...and could my husband step in to take things over.  Nooooooo...my response; yessssss, my husband's. He's so committed to all things cycling, so like the great coach, and husband, he is, he donned his winter gear and headed east for the day.  Can I just say how thankful I am he had the snow tires put on his car last week?  Can I just say that another on my ownsome day appearing out-of-the-blue was rather an okay thing?  Can I just say that with the arrival of snow, I'm starting to feel more 'festive' (especially after a couple weeks of that strict Halloween-cards only diet I was on).  Of course, I'd much rather my husband had stayed home, hibernating with me, doing his coursework (maybe a wee chore or two...), however...left to my own devices, card-making today was, well...in the cards!!

The current (and almost done...) Festive Friday Challenge is a Santa theme.  One Santa stamp. That's it. Turns out, having taken inventory of my little holiday stash, I also have a couple 'one-sies' of a few Christmas images: penguin, candy cane, reindeer, various sentiments. Curiously, they're NBUS.  Curiously, I don't recall where or when I bought them but that's fine. They'll be seeing some action this year, especially since I have two advent calendars to make, soon.  Very.  Back to steering my derailed train of thought to the track at hand...
Card 1: Festive Friday Challenge,

 with delightful Lisa's Wanna Sketch #10 as my layout inspiration.
Embossing included too (another find that snowflake-ish folder), so we're off to CAS-ual Fridays Challenge #119.  
A simple card..

and, given the snow, and the NBUS discoveries, and the so-many-possibilities sketch, AND, my recent win of a CAS-ual Friday's Funky Square Tag Fri-die (thank you Michele, ever so much! Awesome die. Seriously, totally awesome!), AND Stacey's(Stacey's Stamping Stage) recent 'how to tie a bow" tutorial (thank you ...and I tried, I really, really did!!), AND the Color Showdown #266 palette,


These felted acorns are darling!!
I made a second card.  It's heading off once again to Wanna Sketch #10, Color Throwdown #266, and CFC #119.  I hope my colors are 'close enough" for those required; if not, just let me know and I'll scuttle away.  

Another simple card - and it has a twine bow!!!


The background paper is not as red as it appears...grrr with the lighting, because it really is a
 *cherry cobbler* shade (and now I'm craving cherry cobbler, with vanilla ice cream...)

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments are welcome and appreciated!






:



12 comments:

Lisa Arana said...

Aw, bummer your weekend with the hubs was cut short!

I adore your cards. Love the way you included the embossing in the sketch card. Such a happy little santa! :) Thank you so much for being inspired by wanna sketch!!!

Karen Davis said...

I can't even begin to imagine what your winters are like. Our last winter in Auckland, New Zealand was so mild, and it never snows. Hope hubby returns home soon.
Both cards are wonderful. Your Santa seems to be reveling in the snow fall!! I love the stitched detail and the lovely embossed background. Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

Bonnie said...

Santa looks like he's dancing with joy over the falling snow! Love the embossed background and stitched mat! Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday! Love the 2nd card too! Such pretty colors and I love the twine bow!

Lesley said...

What a sweet Santa card, Carol! Love the embossing and the dancing! Your 2nd card is absolutely lovely too! Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!

Darnell said...

What a joyful Santa card, Carol, and your second card is so pretty! There is nothing like the first snowfall of the season! (After that, not so much!!) Hugs, Darnell

Lori said...

What fun, festive designs! I love your coloring on the bell image. Thanks for joining us for this week's Color Throwdown.

Shannon J said...

Well, I think only one Santa stamp is all you need, because it is adorable! And so is the card! Now wait just a minute - didn't you say that you and bows did not have a very good relationship?! Well, that could not be further from the truth, Miss Carol, because the twine bow on card #2 is divine!! As is your colouring...and well, the whole card! Extra, gigantic points for the ah-mazing embossing on both cards! Hunker down and bundle up over there, and take full advantage of every crafty chance you can!!! Hope hubby made it home ok xoxo

Notes by Nina said...

Both cards are lovely, Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Anonymous said...

Sweet, whimsical Santa, Carol ... and such a pretty set of bells! What a great way to spend a snowy day when hubs plans have gone awry! Anita :)

Broni said...

2 great Christmas cards! Love that embossed background! Thanks for sharing with us at the Color Throwdown!

Alice said...

such cute images! lovely cards! thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Did you say cherry cobbler? Yum. :) Both cards are beautiful. Great coloring, and super sweet stamps. The button and twine on the second card are gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!