Thursday, September 26, 2013

Happy Birthday...Insider Class "Clear" card, Seize the Birthday, My Creative Time, Simon Says

A week ago my husband  headed off on  his ‘education journey’ to the west coast; now two more sleeps before he’s home.  Actually, he has to go immediately to work on Saturday – a summer biathlon event to run, followed by the annual meeting - so he won’t pass the threshold of home until evening.  Vacuuming, laundry, grocery-shopping, cleaning…hmm.  Perhaps the neglected chores ought to receive some attention before his arrival. Then again, he’s so tired, I doubt he’ll notice anything amiss for a few days, so…nahhh, no point rushing into a spic-and-span frenzy  It’s been a curious passage of time: the days ‘seem’ to have flown by, but the minutes on my own-some are sometimes incredibly long.   Or incredibly short when crafting is involved!!

I’m enrolled in the Insider Online class – yet another stellar education experience offered by the talented Kristina Werner, Jennifer McGuire. Laura Bassen  and a bevy of other guest artists.  It’s day two of a three day course, yet already, I’m behind in my homework!  Today, however, I tried something completely new, after watching a video tutorial by Laura, whose creativity and sense of humour are exceptional.  I had to watch her video several times, as she was so engaging and so ‘real’!   Laughing while learning – perfect combination!

Lauren’s ‘clear' card sent me to the two (yes, a whopping TWO) sheets of acetate I bought in anticipation of a down-the-road  card (I was planning to shamelessly scrap-lift a baby card created by Jennifer M that she showcased a while back), however…no time like the present to  dabble in play.  I’m glad I did:  my card is a rather ‘simple’ modified version of the pretty one Laura designed (her background was plaid-stamped; mine was pattern=paper adhesed),  but oh my, the learning was plentiful.   While I’m somewhat pleased with the result,  working with acetate – for me, anyway – was a challenge.  Perhaps I need to find ‘clear’ cardstock, or just practice more, or both.

My card, ‘amateur’ though it is, is off to one of my colleagues tomorrow (maybe…I’ll leave it sit over night to decide if it will make a good impression).  I’m also entering it into Seize the Birthday, My Creative Time’s birthday Designer Challenge and Simon Says ‘Anything Goes.’   As ‘proof’ that I used acetate, I’ve even included ‘glare’ in my photos J

I know, I know: the frame, arrow and *you* once again, but they're working as a nice 
combination...for now.  I made several cuts of "you" to create a chipboard effect.  
Papers are EP This and That.  NBUS - SSS curved edge die. Coolness!






12 comments:

Kim S said...

Chores can wait. And this will definitely make a good impression!

~amy~ said...

Oh I love your card...nice work with the colors!

spic-and-span frenzy...yup, I never rush into that:) much more important stuff to do like craft :)

happy friday!

Jo Nevill said...

Super card, love your layout
Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge this week.

Jo x

Anonymous said...

Much better than doing the spick and span frenzy, Carol, this is fabulous ... gorgeous colours, lots of texture and a lovely inside! Mmm, behind with homework, yep me too ... I've not even finished watching the videos yet so I don't even know what homework I've got! Anita :)

Cassandra said...

Looks great...love the colors! Thanks for joining us in the My Creative Time ~ Designer Challenge. :)

Geri said...

A+ and five gold stars! Definitely a scary territory to venture into in my books too! However, with the help & encouragement from the amazingly talented Laura, you put on your game face and marched right out into that battlefield of acetate, you conquered and you won! Love the layered 'you' and the curved edge. Of course, the arrow has me swooning!

I have tried a thing or two with transparencies - no luck! However, I have heard that the clear card stock is very much more 'user friendly'. Might just have to add a sheet or two to my next order of schtuff!

Kylie said...

Wasn't Laura's video delightful? The card itself was a knockout but I just loved listening to the commentary. Your card is a fantastic representation of her design. I just love how you jump into these challenges and hit the ball out of the park each and every time!

Gaylynn said...

Really fun bday design. :)

Cindy Beland said...

GREAT looking birthday card,Thanks for joining us at My Creative Time/Designer Challenge!!!:)

Macarena said...

Sweet colors and patterns! Thank you for joining us at Seize the Birthday, Hugs.

Jodene said...

Great card! Thanks for playing along at Seize The Birthday.

Shannon J said...

Fahh-get about the chores!! Chores shmores!!! Card making - YES!!! Carol, you are SUCH an inspiration - seriously! You are fearless trying all these techniques and ideas! I must get better at that myself!! And just look at the results - absolutely awesome!