Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Little Bit of Gold...PS SPARKS: June 3-9 Trend Watch challenge: GOLD

This week's Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge invited us to create cards featuring GOLD as part of the design.
There may be 'gold in them thar hills,' but there ain't much in this here stash of mine!  Sighhh...however, I have gold embossing powder and, despite our on-again/off-again (mostly off...) relationship, the option was pretty much decided.

I've also decided it's time to explore and try out some new techniques that I've discovered in my travels through card blogland.  I've realized I'm soooo "not ready" to play in the mixed media realm just yet (splatters are lovely, but in my hands.. .umm, well yes, dear, I did mean to tell you about my new wall decorating ideas...), but, I can change the shapes and layouts of my cards to add a  little twist, and then there's the territory of mini-albums (I made one for my sister-in-law last Christmas: wish I knew then what I know now.  Another one is definitely on the horizon for her - "new and, hopefully, improved), and gift card holders and...oh, the possibilities are endless!  

Last month, PS teamed up with the designers from Scor-Pal, and what a treasure of ideas emerged!  If you haven't checked out this most excellent pairing, go. Now.  I'll wait.  See? Aren't these projects amazing??

My card today is inspired by Diane Zechman's Accordian Fold Card,  and features a Flap Happy butterfly embossed on patterned paper, a Friendly Flower embossed, then copic coloured. Man, I need copic colouring lessons. To all you Copic experts: my admiration for your skills has grown by leaps and bounds!  Colouring thusly is not as easy as it looks, but I loved trying! The final panel shows an embossed Hello from the same flower, placed on an inside mat cut from my new Duo Die 1.  Some yellowy-gold-y paper and...done.  I'm almost leaning to think it's *cas* sort of-ish...


Apologies for the shadows...waiting for sunny days...

Thanks so much for dropping in; let me know you did! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated, deeply!











6 comments:

Pamela said...

Such pretty gold embossing! Thanks for joining us at Paper Smooches Sparks!

Tracey McNeely said...

The gold embossing is just perfect!

Houses Built of Cards said...

So pretty! LOVE the layers to the card! So glad you played along with us this week at Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Shannon J said...

I would have to say the on again / off again relationship is back oooonnnnnnn!!! Gorgeous card, gorgeous embossing - and gorgeous COLOURING!! Your shading is perfect! And the tri-fold works so well for this card! I bet when it's closed, it looks like the sweet little butterfly is happily perched upon that adorable flower!!

Geri said...

Oooops! Had I started with the older posts and move forward to the more recent ones, I would have had my answer in this amazing accordion fold card! Again, you rocked the paper selections Carol and the copic coloring! Seriously, your shading is beautifully done! Awesome fussy cutting too!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOL! This post made me giggle! I love the splatters as new decorating... love your on and off relationship with gold... LOVE reading your posts:)

LOVE this card too-- I love that you are trying new techniques and designs for your cards! You nailed this trifold card! FAB use of gold with these papers! LOVE:) THANKS so much for joining in the fun with the Paper Smooches SPARKS Trend Watch challenge! Hope you stop by and join in the fun this week!!!