Thursday, June 13, 2013

You're My Favourite (X 2)...CAS-ual Fridays #104 and retrosketches #67

Thursday already - and once again, as has happened for the past 5 years, this is the first day of a most competitive bike racing event here in our province:  Banff Bike Fest.  My husband is the chief official, so he won't be around much this weekend; neither will I, as it turns out, since I'll also be an official for the race this evening, the two on Saturday, and the one on Sunday (we need to be up at the crack of dawn for that one!!)

Tonight, in the pretty tourist town of Banff, I'll be the 'starter' for the prologue race that sees close to 200 cyclists ride their legs off up, up and up the steep grade of Tunnel Mountain, for 1.5 km.  It's a short, but fierce competition.  It's a bit of a nerve jangler for me, too, as I have to be focused 'on the clock' giving them the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown to set them on the road; a rider every 30 seconds.  Come to think of it, the 3 or so minutes it takes them to ascend the climb is a whole lot shorter then the amount of time my husband and his crew of officials will be on duty.  Hmmm...wonder if I can consider this an 'athletic' performance...
Anyway, if you're interested in seeing some gorgeous scenery, here's a link to the event: Banff Bike Fest. The Cascade Prologue, the Criterium race and the Tunnel Mountain Road Race are on my dance card and maybe the ITT. Truly, we're fortunate to live in such spectacular surroundings; I need to be more mindful - and thankful - for that!

Enough bike talk! Today, I'm sharing my entry into CAS-ual Fridays' Banners and Flags challenge (wow, talk about a significant # of entries!)

 and retrosketches #67

I had my nephew in mind when I made this, so a 'wee bit' of a boy-card theme


Of course, I couldn't make one for him without making one for my niece, which I'm sharing
here 'just because' (missed the CASE Study challenge I was aiming for!)


So, one for a favourite niece and one for a favourite nephew; these might be their Happy 40 Months Old and Happy 16 Months Old cards for July (along with a couple more..)

Time to head off to work...and then, off to the races!  (Rain, rain, go away...please...)

Thanks so much for dropping by; please let me know you did! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated!






11 comments:

Greta said...

2 cute cards, Carol! Love how you used the retro sketch & perfect little boy card. Showed the gorgeous scenery pictures to my husband who said "see, I told you we should move to Canada."

Sylvia Blum said...

Two sweet and pretty cards!
Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!
Sylvia xx

Happy Dance said...

Those little ones must just love getting cards in the mail! Their very own mail!! You are so sweet to do that. Darling cards, btw...and it's always nice to see ideas for 'his' cards. Might have to borrow this idea sometime soon! Bev

Geri said...

Seriously, you win the World's Best Aunty Ever Award!!! Love the colors - gender perfect for each of the wee people! You really have inspired me to try 'banner' up...something I have been avoiding for far too long!

Good luck with your weekend officiating duties! I'm sure you will be dreaming 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Jingle said...

These are super cute! Thanks so much for joining us over at CAS-ual Fridays!

Kelly Griglione said...

Love your male/female versions of the card, how fun! Thanks so much for playing in the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

Marlena M. said...

Wow, you are a busy busy woman! I never thought of the organizing behind these types of events.
Fantastic variations of the sketch with a boy and girl card. You are very wise to pick TWO favorites. *wink*.

Darnell said...

These are adorable banner cards, Carol, and they will make a wonderful additions to the niece and nephew cards! Have a fun racing weekend! You are so blessed to be living in one of the most beautiful places on earth!!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Sweet cards!

The events sound like nerve janglers for sure!
Loverly scenery..

Have a wonderful weekend Carol!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOWOWOW! Sounds like you have a busy bike weekend! I hope everyone stays safe and that you have a great time! Trav and I go on bike rides... but we pedal kind of slow since we stop by the road and collect aluminum cans (for our church fund). We don't get very far because so many people litter!

LOVE these cards-- perfect for both your nephew and niece! LOVE the way you used so many banners on the second one! I'm sure they will love them too:) Fab job!

Shannon J said...

Love your cards Carol (I always do!). I love the you saw a postage stamp in the sketch and used that for your main panel! Those sweet kiddos are going to love these (I know they won't tell each other that they're BOTH Auntie C's favourites! ha ha!!
I had a peek at the link for the race - this is serious business!!! I hope tht the rain has gone away now and that things are going well so far in the event. Can't wait to hear all about it!!