Thursday, February 6, 2014

Rainbow Valentines...Less is More: Rainbow, Wanna Sketch #12, Stamping Celebration #75: Rainbow Hearts, Mod Squad: Heart & Glitter, Addicted to CAS #31

Happy Thursday, with extra smiles, because today, and tomorrow, are no school days! Yayyy...No, this mid-February break (the first of two, actually...double yayyyy...) isn't a 'cold weather' closure, even though it could be, given that this morning we awoke to -32C, and with the wind chill factored in, it was -43C/-46F. Actually, 'snow day' school closings rarely happen here in Alberta; busses may not run in some areas, meaning kids who rely on those services have opportunity to stay home (although I know parents will drive when busses won't...), but the schools are always opened. Indeed, when I perform a quick memory trek of my 25-plus many years of teaching, I have no recollection of weather-related days off.  We did 'almost' go on strike once, but the issue was resolved in the wee hours of the morning of the strike start date, so that doesn't count.  Nope...here in Alberta, the saying is "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."  Sorry, strayed from the why-I'm-home topic...Alberta Winter Games.

As of today, young athletes from throughout the province are arriving in our town, and in neighbouring Banff, to compete in the Games. To keep expenses in some semblance of 'reasonable,' the schools are serving as residences for the athletes and coaches; yesterday, a good part of the afternoon was spent moving around desks, securing cabinets and all-around clearing out and tidying up some space for the competitors.  The games begin tomorrow, and many fingers are crossed that the frigid air moves its way anywhere but here, so the events can occur.  Speed-skating, cross-country skiing and biathlon just don't happen when the temperatures fall below a certain point, for the well-being of the athletes as well as the volunteers, many of whom are standing in one spot for hours at a time.  Already some shifts have been made - morning starts moved to afternoon, afternoon to 'later' afternoon.  My husband, of course, is caught up in all this.  I feel for him: he's off working whilst I'm...ummm, busy doing other things *grin*.  Actually, I do have an Alberta Games task: washing and then collating a whole load of biathlon bibs (a bit of an ewww...escaped my lips when I opened the tub Andy had them in. I came close to grabbing tongs to pull them out and throw them in the washing machine, however...I survived. At the moment, one load is tumbling nicely in the dryer while the other is being de-sweatified in the washing machine.  The sorting and folding happens later. I. am. so. excited.

Okay, the Valentine-a-thon continues, so be warned: a post fiesta about to happen. I'm wrapping up my niece and nephew's daycare teacher cards with this little twosome as a start.

They were inspired by, and are heading to:
Less is More: Rainbow theme - HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY to you, as well!!


and some new-to-me challenges.  A couple came to my attention thanks to the wonderful Darnell. Do visit her blog when you have a chance: perfect prescription to lift your spirits and give you an excellent laughter-induced ab workout at the same time.
Stamping Celebration #75: Rainbow Hearts theme:


First card, which is also going to Simon Monday Challenge: Love Notes


and the second, also going to Mod Squad: Heart and Glitter Challenge,
'

NBUS: Wink of Stella to glitter-fy the hearts,  the typewriter stamp and the mini stitched envelope die. Cuties, both.

NOTE: So thrilled and honoured that my hearts and envelope die was selected as a Wanna Sketch highlight! Thank you to Lisa and everyone who commented!!

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day! 









    

22 comments:

Marisa said...

Your rainbow of hearts are wonderful! Well done with all the challenges! I can fully relate to the pinny smell LOL! I snag the pinnies for my hubby's soccer team regularly and give them a wash as they can really nasty!! Figure the smell of Tide is much more enticing than the smell of sweat and turf LOL! Oh my!! Cold indeed!!!! Feel for those participating and moreso those officiating as they don't get to move around as much to keep warm! Maybe there will be a few who join the athletes for a loop or two LOL!

Loll said...

Hi Carol. Two fabulous cards ... both CAS and both colorful and fun! Thanks for joining us at ATCAS ... if you want to be eligible to win, you must include a link back to our challenge. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

What a cute card! I love the hearts floating up out of the envelope! Thanks for playing along at the SCIC!

Lisa Arana said...

Ca.ute cards! You have done a darling job with the challenges, so glad you were inspired by wanna sketch!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love your card designs. Those fantastic hearts really add a lot to the cards and I love that they are clean and simple but very colorful!

~amy~ said...

whoa whoa whoa...-46F? That's insane! Evidently I'm a big baby since it's a balmy 25F here....and my hands cannot get warm!
I adore the rainbow theme of these 2 cards, so fun!

Laura Davis said...

Simply adorable!
Laura

Greta said...

Oh this are so darling, Carol! What a life you live with an athletic hubby! Hope the games go as planned. You could hold them here as we actually have measurable snow--7+ inches! & only in the 20s so far. Hugs, Greta

Lee said...

What CUTE rainbow and sparkly hearts!! I love the little love note in the typewriter! Thanks so much for playing with us at Mod Squad!

Sian Ridley said...

You are always so busy!! How do you find the time to create all the beautiful cards for so many challenges and people too?!! I'm worn out just reading about all the things you do!!

I cannot believe the cold you're having to endure though, those are ridiculous temperatures that I'm pretty sure should be illegal! How do you cope?

I hope the games go well and that you find yourself with time for more crafting! ;)

Dan said...

Two lovely cards - I have to say though,l the vintage typewriter card is my favourite! Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Emily Keaton said...

Oh, these bright and happy cards are adorable! That tiny envie is dynamite, and I love that vintage typewriter. My mom taught typing (and other sundry "secretarial" skills) in the 70s and 80s--I really should have an image like that in my cache!

Anita in France said...

These are both such fun, Carol ... sweet hearts escaping first from the typewriter (where the love note was written) and then from the envelope (that the note was folded into)! Enjoy staying warm and cosy ... and crafting, of course! Anita :)

Dana said...

Awww cute valentine cards!! Love the heart themes!!! Thank you so much for your sweet comments about my video!! All your comments mean so much to me!!

Shannon J said...

What an exciting time for athletics this week - not only the Olympics but your games too! I sure hope the weather is cooperating!!! You made me chuckle in embarrassment about snow days - we are pathetic out here - we seem to get them at the sight of one flurry!!! Absolutely love these cards,Carol! The rainbow hearts are so much fun! That wee little envelope on the first card is darling and the sequins add just the right amount of sparkle! And I am IN LOVE with the typewriter image on the second card! Both perfect for Love Day!!!

Chrissie said...

I'm so sorry that I'm so late in visiting this time!
These are beauties!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Kylie said...

I think I am a princess when it comes to weather conditions - I don't think I would cope with your low low low conditions any more than I am coping with our (seemingly) endless summer conditions. lol Your Games sound super fun and throw in some Winter Olympics too - it must be sporting overload for you at the moment. You never really think about who does the washing, etc, of all the uniforms, bibs, etc....not an enviable task. It is great you are able to help out in such a necessary capacity.

Onto your cards, or works of art as they should really be referred to. Love the bright happy colours on both cards but that typewriter is just a totally amazing image. Beautiful creations, Ms C!

Cori Kozak said...

Very cute cards! I love the rainbow of hearts and that adorable little envelope! Thanks for linking up to us at Stampin' Celebration!!

Cat Tidwell said...

Love the sparkly rainbow of hearts! Tis gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing along in our challenge at the Mod Squad Blog this week!

Unknown said...

Two great cards Carol - love the hearts flying up from that great typewriter (which I actually remember.....!) Not sure I could deal with the extreme cold you have......we're too busy drowning here in the UK!Thanks for playing along with our Love challenge at ATCAS.

Karen x

Sharon Underwood said...

Glad you had a break in the washing to have some fun crafting! I saw your card at Mod Squad and just had to comment. I love your rainbow of hearts! The typewriter is something I should have, as I went to Secretarial School back in the day...thanks for the memories!

Krista said...

Your cards are absolutely adorable! I love the floating rainbow hearts. Thank you for playing at Stampin' Celebration!! .....From sunny Southern California....sorry. :)