Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cityscape in Pink...Paper Smooches SPARKS: Picture Perfect,CAS(E) this Sketch #64, The Card Concept #3: Monochromatic Pink

Hello! Hope you're having a most wonderful Saturday!

My day has been devoted exclusively to catching up on blogs (still running behind a few...) and making cards, because I'm on my own-some for the weekend, as my husband has traveled west to visit his family for a few days.  Our usual Saturday evening pizza will be shifted to Monday, when he returns, and perhaps, if my 'baking skills' make an appearance, I'll add a home-made chocolate cake for dessert. Won't he be surprised (as will I!!).  While I don't "mind" the time alone to craft or whatever (oh, who am I kidding; there's no 'whatever' on my schedule beyond dabbling with papers, dies and stamps), the evenings/nights aren't exactly fun.  Anxiety...don't like it, so we won't discuss it any further, except to say, grrrr...

When the Paper Smooches Picture Perfect inspiration appeared last Sunday,

I hastily decided, nope. No Valentine or love-themed cards left in me; my capacity had been stretched to the max with the Valentine-athon. Besides, I'd already showcased nearly all my PS 'love' products, so done deal. Decision final. That is, until I remembered a PS NBUS, and my final decision waffled...

My card inventories as monochromatic pink cityscape paired with a gold heart, presented through a clean and graphic concept, with the sentiment placed just beneath the image.  This means I'm linking up to Paper Smooches SPARKS: Picture Perfect

The Card Concept #3: Use monochromatic pink




See...simple. I'm into simple these days. I cut the die three times - a base layer of white, a slightly offset layer of deep pink patterned paper, and two lighter shades of pink patterned papers - added some dimensional foam and...done.  

I was thinking of my family while making this, which is perhaps why the city scene 'spoke' to me.  Small town life is wonderful - especially the scenery that surrounds us - but missing my family happens. Often.  So, if my dad happens to be reading my blog *Hi, Pa* (he does, on occasion...) just know that I'm thinking of all of you!! Big hugs!!

NOTE: I'm absolutely honoured that my card was selected as a PS Pro winner.  THANK YOU to everyone who played a role in this card's creation: the DT, the other entries in the gallery, and all my wonderful 'blog' friends who offered encouragement.  So appreciated!!

Also delighted to be selected as a winner over at the Card Concept Challenge #3: Use Monochromatic Pink.  Thank you again so very much!








30 comments:

Larissa Heskett said...

Such a FUN Design!! I LOVE the way you added the shadowing too!! Thanks for sharing and have a Fabulous Weekend!! ;)

Ardyth said...

This is a fantastic combination of the challenges! Thanks for joining us at The Card concept!

Marisa said...

Your city scape is fabulous!! Love the off set. Great take on the insp. picture. Enjoy your crafting time - jealous!

Michelle Lupton said...

Love this - the multi-layered die cut looks so effective.

Kylie said...

Hugs, Carol! He'll be home before you know it. :) Your card - one word - STUNNING! Wait, another one pops into mind - PERFECT!

Shannon J said...

Ok, I can NOT even begin to tell you how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this card!!! TOP 5 FOR SURE! Fun, sweet, totally on trend! The oh so cool ombre effect on the buildings (LOVE the way you pieced this together!), the gold heart, the simplicity, the sweetness!!! This is seriously awesome, Carol!! I am madly in love!
Totally get what you're saying about being on your ownsome, and longing for "home" at the same time. It's one thing to hold the ones you love close to your heart figuratively but it's another thing to hold them literally. Totally natural to feel that way. I am secretly wishing that one day soon you will get to move closer (and I think it's just a matter of time ;) !!) Hang in there sweet friend, and if you need a distraction, I'm just a note away :) xoxoxo

Greta said...

Brilliant creation, Carol! Love this card! Sorry hubby's away--I know what you mean about the evenings--never did like that. Sent you an envelope, but must be coming via dog sled. Hopefully you'll get it soon. Hugs, Greta

Jacquie Southas said...

Love the pink skyline!

Amie Kiger (Kigz) said...

Simple, yes, but stunning all the same!!! Love it! :)

Dana said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!! I love how you layered the skyline, genius!!! LOVE it!!

Anita in France said...

Sigh ... Carol, this is simply lovely! Gorgeous, simple, dimensional, textured, unexpected (the colours) and so delectably CAS! Yep, missing folks is hard ... keep your chin up, keep creating your marvellous cards and make that chocolate cake! Mmmm ... can I sigh at the thought of that too?? Hugs to you across the miles, my friend ... Anita :)

Cindy Lovell said...

Oh Carol...your card is Amazing!! I love the skyline and the golden heart is a perfect touch!! You rock!!
Thank you so much for joining us at The Card Concept!!
Big Hugs! :)

~amy~ said...

Oh this is AWESOME

Unknown said...

Your card really caught my eye. Great job!!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Oh my, the two toned pink buildings and the gold heart make me swoon! It is almost like the moon of love is rising over a sweet city!

Karen Davis said...

I love your cityscape Carol. The shadowing with the darker pink is so effective. Thank you so much for joining us at The Card Concept.

Kylie said...

I KNEW you'd win! Congratulations! So happy for you! Now I'm excited to hear about which goodies will soon be yours! :) Enjoy!! WOOHOO!

Anita in France said...

Yay, Carol ... you won, you won ... congratulations on being a PS Pro Winner this week! Hugs, Anita :)

Meg said...

Congratulations! This is a fantastic card!

Chriss Blagrave said...


Love this city scene with the beautifully shaded buildings and your sweet blushing heart! Great monochromatic card.

Sian Ridley said...

Well! First off is a great big well deserved congratulations to you!!! Well done my darling!

This card is beautiful and I love the family story behind it :) I think you're really finding your groove and maybe it's in the CAS camp!? You do other styles so well though, I think you're one of those lucky ones who isn't pigeon-holed and can master everything!

I hope you enjoyed your Saturday craft-a-thon and the following Monday pizza night :) did you make cake?! I miss chocolate cake so much!! I hope you got through the evening ok, you're never alone with all of us in blogland! ;)

Darnell said...

Congratulations on the well-deserved shout out, Carol! Your beautiful card reminds me of my different colored skyline I made with this die; it's such a fun way to use it and I adore how you've added the "heart moon!" Hugs, Darnell

Emily Keaton said...

CONGRATS on your win!! So well deserved--this is a perfectly designed card!! I just LOVE how it turned out. Way to go!

wienerhoneymooners said...

AMAZING!!!! CONGRATS you are a PRO -NEVER forget it!!

Susanne Vargas said...

Just found this card and wanted to let you know how much I love it! That you saw this pink and gold heart of the inspiration picture and translated it into a pink city scape with a gold heart is simply brilliant! Also that you offset the layers! I am not surprised at all that is was a winner! It's certainly a winner in my book!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Carol, congrats on your win! I had a good feeling about this card the moment I saw it, freaking fabulous! I just popped over to see the next challenge and was so delighted to see your name as the winner there! I am doing a happy dance for you!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOL! I just love reading your blog posts, Carol! YOU are soooooooo funny! I hope your husband enjoyed his time with his family (I bet he is excited to be back home with the love of his life!!)!!! And I love that you said "if my baking skills make an appearance"---- ack! I am soooooooo using that the next time I have to cook.... or bake! LOL!

I loooooooove that you said "NOPE" before joining in the fun with us! And look where this card got ya!?!?! WINNNNNNER! LOVE the cityscapes and the sentiment below!! LOVE that this is for your family!!! What a great card:) THANKS so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge!! Hope you join in the fun again this week (Anything Goes)!

ps... got your messages! Been busy- don't you hate when I say that! I hate saying it! I hate being behind! I literally cannnnnnot catch up! I have you and Shannon STILL on my list! But I haven't forgotten! LOL! So no worries there:) I will email you tomorrow! <3 HOOOOOOORAY! <3

Darnell said...

Back again with another congratulations for your win at CCC, Carol!! You rocked the challenges!! Hugs, Darnell

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is gorgeous, Carol! I love it! Fabulous take on the sketch!

Anita in France said...

Oh my goodness, Carol ... knew this was a special card ... another win ... at The Card Concept! Congratulations, my friend! Anita :)