Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Cameras and a 'Stache'...Retro sketches #102

Hello!
Wednesday evening. Already!  My week off is zipping by, but only two more sleeps until I go see my family! Woo hoooo!  It’s been far too long since I’ve been Aunty C (I say that after 15 minutes away from the kiddos), and I am so ready!   Let the shenanigans begin!

A while back, when I was all googly-eyed and ‘desperate’ about creating a ‘stash’ (wait…nothing’s really changed, now that I think of it), I ordered dies, upon dies, upon dies.  Wise choices, most; a couple duds, some; and curious choices, a few.  Curious, I guess, because at the time, I had no clue what I’d do with several of them; they were sort of like the ‘old days’ when we’d have to buy a full record…er, 8-track…er, tape…okay, CD…for only one song.  That’s what happened with me: loved one die or one sentiment, but the whole kit-and-caboodle had to come along as well. That’s how I ended up with some of the ‘curiosities’; specifically, a trio of mustaches, pair of glasses, a tie, a grad cap, tickets, camera….You know what I mean.   Such dies would be showcased brilliantly through the incredible ingenuity of others, but moi?  Not so much. Up until recently, these dies have been sadly neglected; in the case of the ‘staches, totally neglected.   Naughty me!

Fast forward  to one of my recent paper pad purchases. On Monday, two of them caught my eye – Doodlebug’s Day by Day, and Simple Stories’ Daily Grind.  Guess what I found…

I’ll let the cards do the talking.  The group of  little note cards posted here, and the duo in the post following, are completely  ‘for fun’ – not fancy, not jazzy with a new technique.  Just for fun.  They’ll be added to the stash of Thank You/Thinking of You/Just Because cards I’m making for my sister-in-law for her staff and volunteers.  The bonus: they have envelopes!

I am AD-DICT-ED to my envelope punch die.  Completely. LOVE it!!  Fancy-dancy envelopes are on the agenda for down the road.  For now, I'm just tickled with how cute they are.  One of my best sale purchases ever!!


My cards are heading to Retrosketches #102


Ready? Some matchy-matchy dies + papers...using my NBUS camera and mustaches (one of three), 




The next one occupies the stage alone because...ta dahhhhhh...my first EVER (and last, trust me) shaker card! Yes, yes, I made one! Yes, it only has 5 sequins, but still - did it! Mission accomplished! I'm smiling!

That weensy shaker tapped into my patience quite enough, thank you!  Anything larger 
would throw me into a complete tizz (thank you, Sian - awesome word!!).

And the gang...


Hope you enjoyed my kitchy crew.

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!






15 comments:

~amy~ said...

Love them all...shaker camera...excellent!
Such a fun 'stache card!

Kay Miller said...

Oh what fun cards!! These are just so cute! I laughed when I read your post about all the different dies you've bought. I have to confess to having my share of curiosities! haha! I'm inspired to use them now, since you have done such cute things with yours! I don't have one of the envelope punch thingies, but am thinking I need that too :D Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog today ;) Sure made me smile!! :):):)

Joni Andaya said...

Amazing creations Carol!!! Love them to bits...specially the camera card. Fantastic with the shaker :)

Greta said...

Wowzer, Carol--what great creations! I totally adore the tiny shaker--brilliant idea to use the camera for it!

Kylie said...

lol I am so guilty of making "curious" and "dud" purchases too. Sometimes I wonder what on earth I was thinking when I sit down and attempt to use said product. It's worse when it has been ordered from overseas and I have had to wait for it to get here. lol I love your quartet! I think your design is so great and I want to copy it. lol Congratulations on your first (and please don't let it be your last!) shaker card. You've just nailed it!

Karen Dunbrook said...

cute cards...

Anita in France said...

There, you see, Carol,your instincts were right to acquire all those 'curiosities'! These are all such fun ... and congratulations on your first and oh so cute shaker card ... awesome ... you do mini so beautifully! Anita :)

Marisa said...

These are soo fun! For the "extras" you did a superb job with them :) Perfect with the fun papers. And yes, I do remember records and 8 tracks...oh my! Enjoy your time with family :)

Shannon J said...

LOOOOVE THESE (said in my Oprah singing voice!!)! Really, truly, totally fabulous! Talk about turning a dud into a stud with these til-now-neglected sets!! WTG on the shaker!!! It turned out awesome...you MUST make more!! Matching envelopes - fun and fantastic! Out of the park, Carol, out of the park!!! If we don't connect until after you leave to visit the fam, have an AWESOME trip!! I know you will ;) xo

Dana said...

Hey just for fun cards are just as amazing! Especially your!! I just love your mini cards!! Who's die is it?? I need it!! Oh and Tuesday my WCMD card was featured on paper Crafts & Scrapbooking and the showcased your comment you left on my blog! I thought that was super cool!!:D

Geri said...

Fabulous ' kitchy crew" !

It must have been one of those "YES!!!" moments (insert fist pump here) when you discovered the matches! I really, really love the moustache card - awesome colors in the DP with a sentiment that is just way too cute! The smile cards are just that .... made me smile! AND...you are totally rocking the envelope scene too!!!

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie these are all just gorgeous, love your colour choices, huggles Pops x x x

Emily Keaton said...

These are SO much fun!! So colorful, too. And that mustache one is too punny!!! LOVE that. So glad that you found the perfect papers for these neglected "curiosity" dies. This kitchy set of cards is just adorable!!! Yay for you!

Sian Ridley said...

Well firstly, thank you for the shout out! I'm glad my weird and wonderful vocabulary has tickled someone!! ;) Ha ha!

I think we all have items in our collections that we thought would be a fantastic purchase because of how successfully others have used them, only to find that they weren't really our style at all - I certainly have! However, you seemed to have proven me wrong as you have absolutely nailed the camera, moustache etc...so I don't know what you're talking about!! :) I reckon you could make a fab card out of anything put in front of you from what I've seen ;)

I am glad that you're using your 'less loved' stash too and hope it brings you even more inspiration as I can't wait to see what you're going to come up with next! ;)

Sian Ridley said...

Oh, I nearly forgot...congratulations on the shaker card - it looks fabulous! It was worth the hard work, every minute! :)