Thursday, April 27, 2017

FUSION Challenge~Musical Butterfly

Hello,

A rainy, dreary day today...guess I'll have to craft *grin* Hopefully, you'll have time to do the same, and if so, I have something inspiring for you: the new FUSION Challenge~Musical Butterfly. Isn't the art print gorgeous?  The sketch, user-friendly?  Possibilities, possibilities...


Those of you who have followed me for a while (for which I am sooooo deeply grateful! Thank you!), know my obsession for butterflies. While I "should" have found the photo easy to replicate, no siree...did not! Why? Because as much as I adore butterflies, water-colouring and I are not on the same wave-length, so that meant finding an alternative way to create the background. Second, I thought I had a musical notes stamp in my collection.  Apparently not!  Still, I decided I'd give replicating the image a go....and here's the hot mess that ensued (I can't believe I'm sharing this...it's totally ewwwww!). No justice done to the image or to the wonderful products I used *hangs head in shame*  The ink splatters (made with stamps) are too big; the butterfly too small (I cut an aperture and then nestled in the die cut) and the script stamps used as I did here are...well, let's say...meh. Big meh!  This one has gone into the re-purpose bin!


Back to the drawing board....with this, below, as a result.  Not super happy with it but at least it's a little less 'dramatic'.  I used a splatter stencil for the background, pairing it with CAS-ual Fridays Big Treble sentiment and die....


A tough challenge for me....but if I can do it YOU sure can!  Please head over to see my team-mates' creations for marvelous inspirations; their cards are gorgeous!

Michelle Lupton
Michelle Williams


Looking forward to seeing your designs in the FUSION gallery!

Thank you for dropping by; your visit is both welcomed and deeply appreciated!



18 comments:

Geri said...

Your waaaaaaaay to hard on yourself pal! The first card is awesome...it's fun, vibrant, bold and totally something you would see on a subway wall! In my humble opinion, the butterfly isn't too large. Anything smaller would have been 'eaten up' by the bold colors.

2nd card - definitely a stark contrast to the first and just as wonderful! Soft, subtle and so 'dainty'.

So, I'm thinking that you seriously need to give yourself more credit cuz it's not easy to create two cards, each with a totally different feel!

Linda Callahan said...

I love to see how cards evolve! The final product is lovely!

Carole said...

Well I like both your cards Carole...but well know that feeling when you are just not happy with what you have created. What would a black butterfly look like on the first card maybe? On the second i love your multi coloured treble clef and what a lovely sentiment too...quite a background contrast here but I really do like them both!

nancy littrell said...

I totally agree...WAY too hard on yourself my friend. The 1st card is an artsy mixed media design and not out of balance. Your 2nd card is a pretty CAS design with your stamped splatters (love your colors) and beautiful rainbow colored treble die and wonderful sentiment. TFS both cards Hazel. Hugs...

Marina said...

I like them both - colourful and splashy.

Happy Dance said...

You're so funny. We're our own worst critics, aren't we? It's not "ewwww..." It's just out of your comfort zone is all. I'll bet Becca loves it to bits!! I like the juxtaposition of the lacy wings and the bold ink-splattered colors. Fish it out of the bin, and pick your head up. Now. Second card is more 'Carolish.' It has your touches of softer colors and the more CAS flavor that you favor (oh the poet in me...). It's very pretty and serene. I actually like them both very much. xo Bev

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

I think you solved this perfectly! They both are fine! Besides that, it makes us better when we are really challenged! Well done, my friend!

Kylie said...

Actually, I think you are being way too hard on yourself. I really like the first attempt and I love the second one too. :)

Jeanne said...

I also think you are being hard on yourself, but I totally get it! I probably wouldn't have been as happy with the first card myself, either. It's just not my style of card. I do like the big bold colors, thought! Your second card is much more like you, Carol. I adore that beautifully blended treble clef. And you've given me inspiration yet again, because I have that stamp set. I just haven't been able to play with it yet. Thank you for sharing all of your artwork! Big hugs!! :)

Michelle said...

Oh, Carol, you are way too hard on yourself! Your original card is beautiful. While it may not have been what you imagined, you still created something perfect for the inspiration. Your second card is super gorgeous, too! As a lover of music, that card does make my heart sing. :-)

Bobby said...

You are too hard on yourself, Carol, and I bet you could have watercolored those blotches and been happier with them than the stamping. That said I totally understand what you mean. I have way too many cards that are meh (to me anyway). I do love your second card with more white space and softer colors.

Aileen said...

Well Carol I think we both grew up in the same camp, never trusting that what we have done is good enough. Both cards are brilliant and individual and dont you dare trash or reuse for other cards. Send to someone (me) and be proud. Love both. Xx

Karren said...

I feel your pain because this was a tough challenge for me, too! I struggled to get the watercoloring to look right around the butterflies. Tried about 3 times and gave up! Both your cards look fabulous! The addition of the text is such a cool look and the big musical note is gorgeous.

Michelle Lupton said...

I don't think the first card is "Meh" at all! I love the contrast of the bright, bold splashes of colour against the dainty white butterfly! I love the 2nd card - that sentiment from CASual Fridays is one of my favourites :)

Susanne Vargas said...

Noooo, don't throw this one away! It might not be your typical style but it is fun, colorful, artsy, and I really like it! You are definitely being to critical of yourself! The second one is very pretty, too!

Anita in France said...

Not ewwww at all, Carol ... it's bright, colourful and full of energy ... seems that delicate butterfly is having fun in a vibrant new world! The blended treble clef is gorgeous ... perfect with the tiny splattery rainbow background ... love that sentiment! Hugs, Anita :)

Shelly said...

Carol, are you kidding me?!...These are both AMAZING! I'm just loving your first card...so bold and awesome! And your second card...the splatters and colors are beautiful! Two wonderful cards. :)

Shona Chambers said...

Well, what can I say...this is perfect!