Monday, June 29, 2015

Papa's a Star and Birthday Wishes...Tag You're It! Challenge #24, Winnie and Walter Rerun~Parentville Extras, The Pink Elephant #305~Anything Goes

Hello,

Today, June 30th,  marks six months since my dad passed away.  Six months...and not a day goes by that I don't miss him...that my entire family doesn't miss him.  I haven't yet steeled myself to create an album of all the beautiful cards and messages I received from so many wonderful people in this community, but I will...when I'm ready.  Apparently, though, a whisper of  'readiness' to create "something" happened over the weekend, in that I made a card for him...or rather, it sort of 'made itself.'

Planets, stars, the vast universe: those caught my dad's interest. I remember him showing us, as we were growing up, where various constellations and planets could be found in the night sky. I even have snippets of memory of late night ventures in the car, driving away from city lights into the countryside to see significant star and planet events. I know he shared bits and pieces of 'starry' delights with my niece and nephew...and so, it was only fitting that, when he left us, we told them that "Papa is a star."  They accept this as true...and I love that they do.

My card didn't start with a 'plan', as such. I knew I wanted to play with Winnie and Walter Rerun~Parentville Extras., because I had a brand new set awaiting attention.


When the challenge launched, though, my ideas were slow in sparking. In time, Anja's
 gorgeous tag/card combination at Tag You're It! Challenge #24 appeared.  Her use of kraft, the water-coloured tag edge, the single focal image, the white die cut...ideas began to gel...


Yesterday, I noticed a couple of embossed stars from True remaining from my Spotlight On projects, so I set about colouring them. I paired them with the sweet tag from Essentials: Katharine Cutaways, placed them on a panel of kraft cardstock, embossed with my new Multifaceted Cover die  ...and this is what happened...


Yes, Papa's a Star...sighhhh.  I'll never be able to give this to him, but I'm hoping that, looking down from the heavens, he's wearing a smile. When I make my album, I'll include this, just because...

Anyway *deep breath*, I decided to make another card, this time with my birthday embossing folder (a gift from my sweet and phenomenally talented friend, Kim), a CB butterfly, some dots from STAMPlorations and, of course, a W&W die cut...


Both cards are heading to yet another one of my favourite challenges (that I haven't had a chance to play in recently! That's going to change immediately *grin*) The Pink Elephant Challenge #305~Anything Goes

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments add sparkle to my day!
Hugs,





21 comments:

anja curvers said...

WoW these are great love the embossed kraft with that spot of color great take on the challenge. Thanks for joining us over at tag you're it.

Carole said...

These are two fabulous cards Carol.............I love the Kraft and the splash of white and colour and your take on the tag in the picture. Clever to use your die as an embosser alone on the background...I never think to do that...it's a great die too! How lovely to make acard for your Dad.......where that 6months go eh? i think this is aperptual card that you can kep and bring out on all those ocasions where an extra special memory is required, birthdays anniversary's etc...........call it a 'Forever Fathers Day card !. Time heals and memories stay forever...hope today is not too difficult for you. Hugs xx

Ксения Phedra Ли said...

Carol, both card are incredibly gorgeous! kraft and white with a touch of blue - it is an ELEGANCE!

Pop's Cards said...

These are simply stunning sweetie, loving the colours and design, hugs Pops x

Jeanne said...

What a sweet and poignant post, Carol. I adore that Papa is a star! I read Carole's comment and loved her thought of a Forever Father's Day card, too! The card is gorgeous and I know your dad is so very proud! Both cards look amazing with the kraft color and white. The blues just pop, too. Wonderful, wonderful work. I know you miss your dad and you always will. He will never, ever be forgotten. Big hugs!!

Deepti said...

These are superb! Love that color combo :) I too have used kraft and blue for my card that will be seen later today :D

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous!!!! LOVE that butterfly!!

Anita in France said...

What a lovely post, Carole ... from what you've said about your Dad, he sure will be smiling from heaven, looking down at this fabulous, texture-y, starry delight! Sweet butterfly ... such a gorgeous soft blue with the kraft and white ... yum! Keep on remembering the lovely stuff, my friend! Hugs, Anita :)

Geri said...

You've 'kraft'-ed up a storm here dear friend. I could see much better once I dried my tears. I feel your pain dear friend. Such a nice story about the wee ones and the star!

Two sweet cards! You rock kraft! Seriously!!! The aqua and blue look so good with kraft!

BTW, my CB butterfly dies arrived two days ago. The stamps should be here today (hopefully)! Too hot to play outside so I plan on getting inky!

Joyce said...

So very sorry about your father. Your card is a beautiful and thoughtful way to honor his memory. Love the birthday card, too. Gotta get me that die!

Monika Reeck said...

I knew you must be miss your dad much miss C
and your card with star really adorable love that blue sponged star you made
great use of the kraft paper
and the second card I adore that Embossed paper great butterfly in blue too
wish I can visiting you more miss C but for you to know you are always in my heart
you are the first lady who write comment not in only one row..you write loooong sentences and I always love to read it miss C
I can imagine to be on some DT member must be less time to visiting friends blog hope I can still visiting you miss C
always love to see your fresh idea
hugs, Monika

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Carol, these creations are so beautiful. The combination of the Kraft, white and turquoise is so striking and soft at the same time. I love the Papa card and all the love and heart behind it. Perfect idea to put in an album for him. Love the birthday embossing folder and the way it appears on the kraft. The butterfly is your signature. Just perfect.

Winnie & Walter said...

What a truly wonderful way to honor your dad. Your card is fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing more about your dad and using w&w products to create such a loving tribute. :-)

shirley-bee said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad, Carol, and a lovely way for your niece and nephew to remember him, as a star. Love the colour combination, and the birthday version.

Greta said...

I know your dad is looking down from heaven & smiling. Beautiful work, Carol!

Loll said...

Very beautiful and special tribute card for your dad, Carol. Sending you hugs. xx

Barb Ghig said...

Two more GORGEOUS cards, Carol! I love, love, love your stars and how the pop of color brings out your embossed backgrounds! Loving that you chose Kraft for your card bases, too! Such a lovely tribute to your dad!
My apologies for being so late on my visits to your blog...life has been a bit crazy! I'm happy to be able to take some time to see what you've been up to...and, WOW!!!

Brenda said...

You have me in tears Carol, I know that you all must be missing your dad even more now. But look at you, you are keeping his memory alive by telling us stories about him! I so love that!!! I love that you have those memories of looking at the stars with your dad, I love that he did the same with the grandkids! How special your dad was and still is!!! I think this card is a beautiful tribute to him and I definitely think it belongs in the beautiful book you will be making. Hold tight to those wonderful memories Carol!!! I know too that he is looking down at you and smiling at his beautiful, thoughtful and warmhearted daughter and family! Ok, wiping the tears from my eyes now. Your birthday card is just beautiful. I so love that embossing folders and it is a go to a lot for me. I love how you have used it here, the tag is just perfect with that stunning butterfly and the sentiments. Love, love, love! Big hugs, Brenda

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to you Dad! He would have so much loved your card! Now you have to make somebody else happy with it! Like your birthday card too - wonderful color combo - I just love Kraft cards!

Taunya Butler said...

I am grateful to you for this sweet memory sharing and the tender feelings you have for your dad!! I miss my dad too!! Your card for him is so heavenly I am positive he can see it!! You are just getting so masterful at backgrounds and these both have the official "Carol made me" stamp to them!! So awesome - you are in my thoughts and I am sending you hugs!!

Kylie said...

Oh big hugs, Carol! I am sure your Dad would have loved your card. We all do and we love you too!