Tuesday, July 1, 2014

CASE x 2: Dragonfly Hello and Thanks....TIME OUT Challenge #8: CASE Donna Mikasa With Your Own Twist; CAS(E) Study #197; Addicted to Stamps and More; Paper Crafting Challenge

HAPPY CANADA DAY to all my fellow Canadians!  Our little town is bursting at the seams with all the tourists who've arrived to enjoy the day here; a parade downtown, pancake breakfasts, other  celebrations during the afternoon, fireworks. As for us, we're aiming for a bike ride on the Legacy Trail, which runs from here to Banff.  I imagine oodles of people will have similar plans.  My husband went for another epic ride yesterday (180 km), so he's a bit tired, which means we won't have to ride for a zillion hours!  Love my bike, but there are limits to what I can do.  He's the racing dude; I'm just a biking-ambler-alonger...

Over the past week, we've had some marvelous challenge cards to case made by exponentially talented designers. I'm in awe over their creations, and my attempts...well, in my world, it's like trying to imitate Michelangelo, or DaVinci or Raphael.  A super challenge!!  Still, the opportunities were too alluring to resist, so I gave them a shot, or rather, a 'stencil'.  Both designer's cards are 'bold' and confident in their colours and images; mine are subtle and a bit shy.

My first card is for TIME OUT Challenge #8:  CASE Donna Mikasa With Your Own Twist


How stunning is her card, filled with vibrant colours and the eye-catching gold?  Mine...well, I did try sponging, but the results were messy.  Plan B: try out my new TH dot fade stencil, add a gold hello, a pink dragonfly (sparkly, but hard to see) and voila...my 'twist' on Donna's marvelous card:


My second card...oh my, but that was a challenge!!  I wanted very much to do justice to this amazing card by Pamela Ho, whose card is the featured inspiration at CAS(E) Study Challenge #197:

Circles, black, vellum, the orange and gold focal point.  Stunning.  I tried several times to figure out a 'circle' approach, and let's just say that Mr. Recycle Bin needs to go on a diet, so filled is his tummy.  I was just about to give up, when my previous card caught my eye.  TH dot fade stencil came out to play again, and here's the result:


Although I added a gold embossed thanks and some stars, glossy-enameled, it still seems a touch "Halloweeny".   In real life, the orange is brighter, and the black more grey-ish.  Oh yes, since I'm still on a sponging kick (practice practice practice), the circle is sponged with one of my new SU inks.  Not a dazzler, by any stretch, but I did want to let Pamela know she is incredibly inspiring, and my card is growing on me!

Speaking of sponging: anyone have some good tips on how to make the results more 'even'? I end up with splotches of darker spots, with 'edges' (despite using the round TH blending tool).  Maybe I'm too heavy-handed...as in clumsy and awkward...although I may, on occasion, be stern, and a wee bit controlling, and, okay, a bit obstinate...*grin* 


Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!


19 comments:

Sue said...

Two beautiful cards, the backgrounds look amazing! Thank you for sharing at ATSM.

Marisa said...

Love the background you used for both cards. Wonderful casing of both cards. Happy Canada Day to you!!

Geri said...

First of all - please, PLEASE share any sponging tips & tricks that you may receive - especially with unwelcome 'edges!

Struggling? I see NO sign of struggle on either of these cards! Your shading is perfect - nice smooth transition from one color to the next!

I giggled when you mentioned "halloweeny" because Ardty said the exact same thing about her card! I will tell you the same thing I told her....I don't see anything at all 'ghostly" about your card. I love the stars on the circle - fills up the space nicely.

Your 'hello' card is so pretty - the pinkish dragonfly paired with the gold 'hello' and those BEYOND sweet we hearts creates a soft, elegant look!

We finally have sunshine here today! It was really hard to force myself indoors but a I have a few tasks that need to be completed by tomorrow morning!

Irish Cherokee said...

Hard on ones self aren't we? Feeling a bit negative Nelly? Don't be. The cards are wonderful. Any card made from the heart is special. Blotchy. Texture is important and many a masterpiece, if you talk to the artist, was a mistake fraught with errors. Tilt your head back, look art what you have created and say to yourself, "That turned out well" because it did.

Blessings
Jim

Taunya Butler said...

What a fun blogger you are - I love your dialogue and your humour and your fun word choices!! As for the cards I think the sponging looks stunning on both cards and that you CASEd both designers extremely well and you should give yourself credit for that!!! Happy Canada Day to you!! Any hope that the happy mail has reached you yet?!? Keep Smiling!!

Kay Miller said...

Happy Canada Carol! Hope you had a good one :) Your cards are both lovely! I love the stencil you used and your sponging looks pretty darn good to me. For me to get mine smooth, I sponge most of the ink out of my dauber before it touches my card. I have to scrub it around quite a bit on the card to get the ink out, but it makes for smooth sponging :) Maybe that will help?

sandie said...

Hello hon! So you went with the stencil and now I am tempted! I love the look it gives. Both cards are fabulous and love that you went with the pink for the butterfly. Will be flying home later so will be chatting with you soon hopefully. Thanks for joining is at TIME OUT and ATSM

Kim Heggins said...

Happy Canada Day to you Carol! Sounds like you have had a wonderful day celebrating. Your cards are amazing as always and yes as Geri said, please share you technique...please! As for you second card looking a bit Halloweeny (which is my favorite holiday), they actually looks a San Francisco Giants-y to me or it can remind me of my toes which are painted both orange and black, the best color combination ever! Sorry to ramble on....I love both of your cards..you are simply fabulous my sweet friend.

~amy~ said...

I think your sponging is awesome! Both of your cards are fabulous...such fun to see how a card is inspired!

Rahmat said...

Love your sponging Carol, I like the faded effect and a nice CASE ing of Donna' card :)

Brenda said...

Well, I think your cards are both stunners for sure! I love that stencil you have been using and will have to look for that one myself. lol I don't see anything wrong with your sponging either lady-it looks pretty amazing to me!! I love the top card, the gold is so elegant to me, the stencil looks awesome the way you sponged it and I love, love the dragon fly and hearts-yes this is one amazing card! The second card is a great take on the inspiration card. It is hard to use that color combo without making it look Halloweenish, but you pulled it off because I don't think it looks anything like Halloween! I love it and of course once more love how you did the sponged stencil-really loving that dang stencil! lol Enabled again! Yes, my dear your cards are awesome just like you! Glad that you had a very happy Canada day! Hugs, Brenda

Anita in France said...

What? Am I looking at something different, Carol ... these are brilliant! The dragonfly against this lovely background is gorgeous ... they're both light and airy and delicate together! The orange and black is such a fab, dramatic colour combo ... IMHO not at all Halloween-y ... just rather wonderful! Hugs, Anita :)

Kim S said...

I don't think "subtle" is necessarily "shy"! The stenciled background is a wonderful backdrop to the golden hello and dragonfly - it gives so much interest without taking away from them. The graduated colors look wonderful on both cards. I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day and a great bike ride!

Beverley said...

Two awesome cards, love your take on Donna's card & I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day, sounds like FUN :) Thanks too for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the challenge. Hugs Bev x

Loll said...

Two fabulous cards Carol. Love that dot fade stencil and you've let it shine on both these cards. Loll xx

Dana said...

Awesome cards!!! I love how you are using the stencil, i have that same stencil and have a card in my huge 'just waiting to be blogged about pile'! I should dig it out and get it up on the blog!! As for tips, first i have never used the new mini tool. I at first used dried up baby wipes and my finger, then i finally got the felt TH blender tool! My tip would be to be lighter in hand and use washi tape to hold one side of the stencil, then as you add ink you can lift the stencil and see where the ink is going and were you need more.... :D

Unknown said...

Too tabby cards, but oh, you are really working your magic with the dragonfly. Loving your style. Hope your shopping trip wasn't too stressful. You managed to buy just a single item in a craft shop - well done you! That takes a lot of will power!!! xxx

Greta said...

I totally adore your cards, Carol! Wowzer, have you become an expert card-maker or what?! I'll never catch up now!

Shannon J said...

You are seriously bringing out your A game!!! Your stencil work is incredible! I don't think you need any tips on sponging - I think you should be GIVING them!! Okay, that pink dragon fly with the gold...ahhhhhhh!!! Love what you've done with Pamela's inspiration too! Not Halloweeny at all...cool - YES!