Thursday, March 13, 2014

Vintage-ish Butterflies...Uniko Studio Challenge #7

Back from my jaunt around the countryside to pick up my husband from his bike ride.  He's bundled into a blanket on the couch for now, warding off the chills and watching...yes, bike races.  Sighhh...he's cute.

When wonderful Bev and her DT shared Uniko Studio Challenge #7, my happy-dancing enthusiasm *nearly* went sidewards when I read that 'vintage or distressed' were on tap, alongside the lovely colour palette selected.

Distressing puts me into a state of distress, so that wasn't a choice on my radar.  As for vintage, I'm still not clear exactly what that means, although the word evokes images of lace, doilies, pearls and flowers. I guess I should do research, hmmmm...

Because I love, love and love my Uniko products, I wasn't going to let 'cluelessness' stop me. I *had* to play. I rummaged around my patterned papers, finding a set that had a variety of the colours from the inspiration photo.  They 'seemed' to fit my concept of what vintage is, so I combined them a doily die'cut, some pearls, a scalloped border or two...and voila. Done.

Presenting...my 'vintage-ish' butterfly cards...


You'll recognize the first card's layout from CAS(E) this Sketch #67, which I borrowed because the 
papers paired so well as tags

These butterflies give me happy sighs...you'll see them fluttering here often...

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!!




16 comments:

~amy~ said...

awesome vintage butterfly cards!

Beverley said...

Two FABulous cards. Like you distressing stresses me out and I'm not a vintage style kinda girl, but you have captured the vintage look perfectly with these cards. The papers, doilies & pearls are perfect. Thank you SO much for joining in on the Uniko Studio Challenge :) Hugs Bev x

Emily Keaton said...

Both of these cards are darling! You definitely nailed the color palette, and I love your version of vintage. The scallops and lacey edges capture "old-fashioned" perfectly! And aren't those butterflies gorgeous?

Kay Miller said...

I just think it's cute that you think your husband's cute!! Love that! I can totally relate to the distressed causing you distress. It does me too. I'm just not a distressing, shabby, grungy or vintage type of gal :D Although it seems to be the rage right now... anyway on to your lovely cards! The colors are beautiful and I just love those butterflies! So pretty on the tags and on the doily! I'm not sure what qualifies something as vintage, but I think yours would fit just fine!! :)

Pop's Cards said...

Hey sweetie these are both is simply stunning, huggles Pops x x x

Shannon J said...

Shazam!!!!!!! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy - these are AWESOME!! Am I ever thrilled that you "went for it" on this challenge because the results are WOW!! You've achieved distressed, along with a very cool shabby chic look perfectly!!! Soft, sweet, charming, and full of gorgeous details! LOVE!!!
Loved hearing about hubby's adventure too - wow, he is so committed to his training!!! I bet getting tucked in and lots of TLC from you at the end of it is a huge motivator for him to push himself!! He's lucky to have you!!
Safe travels today and have as much fun, and as many cuddles as you can this weekend!!!
Got your note too!! Coming back atchya soon ;)

Kim Heggins said...

You are just the sweetest wife...and what a couple of fabby cards! I am in love your beautiful butterflies too and your thinking of you card with the patterned paper and doily is gorgeous!!! Enjoy your weekend sweetie.

Geri said...

Arrggghh! Blogger just ate my comment! Sorry if this shows up twice!\\

What I think I said was the pretty vintage design patterned paper, teamed up with pearls, a lace doily and scalloped edges cannot possibly be anymore prettily vintage than this card. I'm sure that 'prettily' is a word ????

First whirl on the new computer...this keyboard is driving me nuts! Apologies for any bad words that my fingers might accidentally type!!!

Dana said...

I know what you mean about vintage! I usually let the paper be vintage for me too!! I love the colors and butterfly's!

Anita in France said...

Soooo pretty, Carol ... such a wonderfully soft and feminine look with the sweet DP, pearls and lacy doily! Me too on distress/vintage ... it's not too comfortable for a neat freak like me! You, on the other hand, have managed it beautifully! Anita :)

Greta said...

Love those sweet papers--perfect for a vintage look making me think of some of the pretty wallpapers people used to have. Doily & pearls--perfect! These are beautiful, Carol!

Kylie said...

Think you've nailed the theme, just quietly! Both cards are so incredibly pretty but I confess the "thinking of you" card just smacked me right between the eyes - GORGEOUS gorgeous GORGEOUS! I love the doily, the patterned paper along the bottom and, of course, that beautiful butterfly. Wonderful job, my friend! :)

Joni Andaya said...

WOW!!! So GORGEOUS with those butterflies!!! Love the colors so much :)

Ren-Yi said...

this card is just fantastic. i love how you used the butterfly dies - those are fabulous. Thanks for playing along with us at Uniko Studio!

Life and Knits said...

Another lovely card!! Excellent take on the color combo!

Susie

wienerhoneymooners said...

Lovely!!!