Sunday, March 2, 2014

Tulip Birthday...Cure for the Monday Blues #6, CASology #84: Paint, CAS(E) this Sketch #66, Virginia's View Challenge #1: Watercolouring

Hokey smokes but we're having a spate of friiiigid temperatures here: -31C today. On the plus side though, the forecast is for more spring-like temperatures, accompanied with sunny, sunny skies, by the weekend, so fingers crossed that happens.

Perhaps it's the wishing (and whining, I admit) for flowers to bloom that inspired the card I'll be sharing...or perhaps it's the amazing challenges I'm entering that are floral and water-coloured themed...or perhaps it's the 'came across' a stamp I haven't used since last September while searching for something else...Whatever and wherever the sparks came from, I hope my gold embossed + pink water-coloured tulip birthday card brings a bit of 'spring' to your day....

I'm entering a number of challenges (although I think Darnell holds the most challenges for 1 card record; she's awesome that way.  Wait...she's awesome in every way...).

First, is Cure for the Monday Blues #6, where Taheerhah has inspired us with this glamorous *strictly sparkle* table setting.  The pink flowers, black and white place mat and gold were the sparks for my card.
Second, is CAS(E) this Sketch #66, designed by Julie Day.  The possibilities for filling the panel...infinite...so that's where my tulip found its stage...(oops...my sentiment went sideways rather than horizontal. Must. pay closer. attention!)

Third, is CASology #84, with "paint" as the cue word,


which I took literally: my tulip is water-coloured with distress markers.

Fourth, I'm off to a new challenge, hostessed by the amazingly talented (and fellow Canadian...yayyy!) Virginia Lu, owner of Yes, Virginia, called Virginia's View Challenge.  Her first invitation: water-colouring.   I've been trying really hard to re-create some of the yummy water-coloured backgrounds that are liberally peppering the card-making community of late, but evidently my ability to shift from 'I get it' to 'I can do this' is missing strategic steps.  Even watching Jennifer M's videos hasn't helped...pa-thet-ic me! Maybe it's because I have control issues *grin* and like my inks exactly where I place them, rather than giving them free reign to settle as they please.  For now, I hope my 'water-colouring inside the lines' is okay, and we'll see if I can progress beyond...maybe.


After all that lead-up, here's my tulip card...gold-embossed and pinkly water-coloured..


Just a side note: my water-colour paper is driving me crazy. It. is. not. white.  I can't find white water-colour paper anywhere, so please bear with me while I use up the zillion sheets of 'good quality' but not white paper I have.

I'm off to practice some more water-colouring backgrounds; just going to let things 'flow' and see what happens.  If that doesn't work...hello, my dear dies (I 'may' have ordered some more on Friday...just sayin')

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!

16 comments:

Life and Knits said...

Lovely card CM!! Thanks so much for stopping by. I tell you...my job is really cutting into my crafty life. LOL!!! Your card is so lovely. Stay warm my friend!!

Susie

Shannon J said...

Are you sure you haven 't been water-colouring for years, because it sure looks like you have!! OMG Carol!!! Oh wait...phew, okay, just needed a second to pick myself off the floor!! Seriously this is a work of ART! Just gorgeous beyond gorgeous!! And that black background is perfect - it makes the tulips pop and shine even more! Oh, and the water-colour paper looks just fine to me ;) !!! LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!

Anni said...

I love the stamp and your coloring is amaing! Beautiful card!
Anni

~amy~ said...

gold embossed pink watercolored beauty! This is wonderful...such a great look!

Happy Dance said...

Gorgeous! Tulips are in my top-three favorite flowers ever! Beautiful watercoloring, my friend. Love the sentiment running up the side, and the sentiment font too. Such a great card AGAIN, Carol!! And thanks for sharing Virginia's new creation...I'll hop over there in a minute too. Have a lovely Sunday. Bev
P.S. We're supposed to get MORE snow this week...oh pooh!

Geri said...

I adore this card! And I must admit that I am also a 'color inside the lines' kind of personality! So as far as I concerned...this card rocks!!! The bit of thinly striped paper is the perfect backdrop for your painting! Beautifully blended colors too. 5 gold stars for your pretty pinked up water color creation!

Virginia L. said...

First of all, thank you for your kind comment on my starting a challenge in my blog! I love the card that you created for this water-color challenge! The pink really adds depth to the entire design! So glad that you join the first Virginia's View Challenge!

Taheerah said...

Oooh, this is yummy pink-and-gold-and-watercolour-and-striped goodness Carol! I hear you on the whole 'control' thing... but you learn to embrace the chaos eventually. *wink* Your flower is gorgeous and perfectly painted, I love it! Thank you *so* much for playing to find a Cure For The Monday Blues!

Kim Heggins said...

Oh!!! this is just beautiful...I love tulips, they are my favorite flowers on the planet and you did amazing things with them too. Your coloring is just gorgeous too, and you water colored them too??? You are fabulous and from the looks of these pretty tulips, you don't need any practice in my humble opinion.

Kylie said...

Brrr! Way to cold! I cannot even imagine what that feels like. I am glad you re-discovered your tulip stamp as your card looks incredible. I remember when I first started water colouring and I struggled to let go too. I wanted everything to be perfect. Eventually I relaxed and now I LOVE watercolouring too. It is so versatile and forgiving too. lol Feel like that was a bit of a lecture. Anyway, bottom line - I love this card!! :)

Dana said...

Winter will just not leave will it!?!! I love the flower and watercolor! I haven't found any watercolor paper that is white AND dosen't fall apart! So I gave up when I found a good quality paper that works wonderfully with myt distress markers!

Marisa said...

Loving that black striped paper and your flower is wonderfully coloured. Can't wait to have them blooming in my garden!

Anita in France said...

Um ... watercolouring ... inside the lines works for me, Carol ... you nailed it! This is so lovely ... gold and pink are such a gorgeous combination, and you've blended them so beautifully to create a splendid spring-fillled delight! Hugs, Anita :)

Mrs A. said...

Get away with you. This is a pro's card! Just look at that beautiful tulip. Love it.
I'm a oil paint girl myself but the classes broke up . Have finally found another class to join but it's water colour so starting that on Wednesday evening. If I mange to even stay on the page will be an achievement.!! hugs Mrs A.

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is lovely! Wonderful take on the sketch!

Cindy C. said...

Very pretty tulips!! Beautiful water colours!!