Friday, March 28, 2014

Just a Note and an "Explosion" Birthday...Retrosketches #017, Seize the Birthday: Anything Goes, MUSE #60

Hello all…yes, it’s been quiet at *just me:  c* for a few days, as my husband and I have been, and still are, on a little road trip, in pursuit of a change of scenery and some warm, sunny weather.  The former has been accomplished wonderfully; the latter, not so much, as we appear to be in the midst of a spate of rainy, cool, blustery weather.  The forecast is for ‘slightly better’ over the next couple of days; hopefully, that comes to pass, because my husband has a pretty new road bike that needs to get some miles in. 

I packed along an incredibly stream-lined mobile crafting unit, which primarily translates to no cuttlebug and no dies, which in turn equates to:  gahhhhh!!  White cardstock, 5 sets of stamps, give or take, inks (my minimal stash of dew drops and HA cubes), adhesive,  some pre-cut die-cuts (hello butterflies!), four patterned paper pads, and a couple other sundry bits and pieces, including my envelope punch (why not, right?  It just snuck into the bag…).   I should have been better at forecasting what I’d need for challenges while we’re away, because my little stash is, well…limited.  Oh well, that’s what creativity is all about: doing what I can with what I’ve got, and adapting.  You’ll see plenty of ‘adapting’ happening with the trio I’ll be sharing...Remember:  these are the result of ‘travel crafting,’ so before they go anywhere, I’ll dress them up prettier once we’re back home.  Why I didn’t bring my Wink of Stella…

As you can guess, a couple purchases have happened, the highlights being Recollections 110lb. cardstock (100 sheets, 40% coupon used at Michaels, and yes, I quite like it), and Delicata gold ink.  Love it!!
Anyway…our vacation rental is adorable; our internet connection is sketchy (I can receive emails, but sending is "iffy"; I can leave comments, which is a plus, as catching up is on tap), so, I’d best stop dilly-dallying and post…

My two cards here feature the layout from Retrosketches #107 


The first - with the Delicata inked butterfly die-cut, wee butterflies on the paper, and sentiment - is also going to Muse #60, where Lyndal's lovely card is featured


I was inspired by the gold, as well as the pretty light-to-dark scene...


My dad and sister-in-law share the same birthday - April 21 - so I decided - given the supplies on hand - that I'd make a birthday card for my dad.  The card features two sets from Uniko Studio: Explosion and A Gift for You.  My traveling stash included papers with some mini bingo cards, so I angled the tip of the 'explosion' to the 21st on a most appropriately title bingo card. Gotta love it when the 'MCU' products work out.  I may make a 'girly' version for my sister-in-law...

Birthday card = a trip to Seize the Birthday Anything Goes Challenge



Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!






24 comments:

sandie said...

love that explosion card Carol, so creative. Have a fun weekend. I have been trying to find my mojo all day and gave up and did some gardening instead!

Ardyth said...

Very pretty take on this week's Muse Carol - hope the weather improves and even if not, you enjoy your break! Thanks for joining us at Muse this week!

Pop's Cards said...

Simply Stunning sweetie, the first has to be my fave love the big butterlfy its lush hugs Pops x x x

Brenda said...

Wow Carol, you did a great job with only limited supplies! I am loving that butterfly card, the background is so pretty and I love the little gold butterflies along with the big one. The bingo b-day card is fabulous, love the bingo cards and love that "wow" die cut. I hope the weather gets better for you! Hugs

Marisa said...

For limited supplies you are doing a great job! Lovely set of cards. Here's hoping the sun will shine for you at least a little bit! Hear you re the rain - we live it year in and year out here in BC LOL. However, we did have a wonderful sunny day yesterday to gives us a break - back to rain today. Enjoy your get away :)

Susanne Vargas said...

Look at what you can do with limited supplies! Those cards are fabulous!
I wish you sunshine for the rest of your vacation!

Darnell said...

Great cards, Carol! You are a creative girl to be able to makes these wonderful cards while away on a road trip! Enjoy the rest of the trip!! Hugs, Darnell

Dana said...

We'll pretty darn good with limited supplies!! No touching up needed!!

Irish Cherokee said...

Two excellent cards Carol. Like the blending of the colors and the butterfly in the first and the bingo cards in the second. Plated many a bingo game with my grandmother. She loved her bingo.

Kim Heggins said...

You are so good! How fun to take a trip and pack some crafting supplies to play with while you are gone...I love it! Both of your cards are fabulous and I am sure your family members will love them. So happy to hear how much you love the Michael's Recollection 110lb cardstock. I love it and stock up whenever I have a coupon...can't beat that price! Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

~amy~ said...

You made those while on vaca...mobile crafting. That's awesome, I pretty much stink at that. LOVE them!

Colleen said...

Oh how clever your birthday card is...(well, I really like them both!) the explosion pointing to 21 is genius! thank you for linking it up to Seize the Birthday!

Geri said...

Wow...these were created with 'limited' resources...Martha Stewart would be proud...at least I think it was Martha who said "as long as you have scissors, you can craft". I wonder what she did when she was in jail? Not nice, I know!

Your butterfly card totally made me gasp out loud! Stunning! Elegant! Beautiful - you best enter this card in as many suitable challenges that you can find cuz it will definitely be bringing home some hardware!!!

The Bingo b-day cards stole my bingo lovin' heart! Fun, whimsical and clever as ever to point the 'ka-pow symbol (?) to the 21st.

Love your photo shoot staging - looks great!

Sharyn Polesel said...

For having limited resources, I think you did pretty well! I love all three of your cards! Thanks so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

Shannon J said...

Whaaaaat??!! You made these from the MCU? Totally amazing, Carol!!! I'm in love with them both! The first card is just so pretty, with the big bold gold butterfly, accented by the soft ones fluttering in the background!! And the second card is FABULOUS!! Love that ka-boom pointing straight at the date! Your Pa is going to love it!!
Just loving too that you two took advantage of spring break to get away!! Even if the weather isn't exactly cooperating!! Time away with the love of your life is the best!! Enjoy the rest of your time away!!!!!! xo

Anita in France said...

First off, I admire you for even being able to put together an MCU ... how to choose, what to pick, what to leave! Second ... crafting whilst chilling out on a break, such dedication! Third, your cards ... the first is so pretty with the butterflies fluttering delicata-ly (!) across the front, the second is such fun ... clever to have the biggest point of the explosion hitting the right date! Enjoy the rest of your time away ... hope the sun shines on you both and the bike! Anita :)

Kay Miller said...

Carol your cards are both so wonderful! I love the one for your Dad, so perfect for a guy! And you always do amazing things with those Uniko butterflies! So pretty! I'm so happy you're having fun on your road trip! I laughed reading about you taking your stamping supplies with you! That's so me! haha! Hope you have a wonderful trip and find that warm weather :) I just recently bought some of that Recollections card stock and I really love it too!

Happy Dance said...

Dang! Girl, even when you're goin', you've got it goin' on! Two fantastic cards. Seriously fantastic. No *bleep*!! I'm definitely pinning your butterfly card. So glad you brought him along with you. LOVE these. Did I mention that these are fantastic?! Be proud, girlfriend! Bev

Lyndal said...

Glad you are enjoying your road trip Carol!
Gorgeous ombre & gold butterfly combination, so glad you were inspired to join in the fun @ MUSE :)

Monika Reeck said...

Lovely interpretation from MUSE challenge dear Carol and I love the idea of the second card too..you are a clever lady Love to come back again to your blog.thats why I put your name on the left side of my blog to make me easy to klick your name and come to your new post...big hugs from Germany, Monika

Tenia Nelson said...

Very cool cards!!

Nancy said...

You are very creative fro having a small amount of supplies at your disposal....well done! All of them! Thanks for sharing your Birthday card with us over at Seize the Birthday!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

FYI--------- are you kidding me?!?! You made these cards with just a few supplies?!?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them! I love the colors on the first one-- LOVE the gold ink too! FAB x100000! LOVE those butterflies! FAB fab fab! And your birthday card for your dad is AWESOME! I love that bam bubble with the bingo cards! FUN! YOU ROCK, Carol:)

THANKS for stopping by my blog while I was on vaca! You made me smile with your sweet comments <3 LOVE LOVE LOVE ya!

Greta said...

I missed this post, but thank goodness I found it now as that butterfly card is one of my all-time favorites, Carol! Stunning!