Tuesday, July 29, 2014

On a Roll!! Two Cards...Arrow Hello ~TIME OUT Challenge #10 and Retrosketches #125; Thanks ~ CAS(E) this Sketch #86 and The Card Concept #15: Colour Challenge

Tuesday evening, and I'm settling in to share a series of cards that I had the luxury of creating over the last day and a half.  Holidays (well, sort of...I went into work yesterday for a snippet of time, and a repeat tomorrow) and crafting appear to go hand in hand.  Aside from some major minimal cleaning (I tackled the bathroom tiles...nearly did myself in with the 'scrubbing bubbles' concoction. Those little flurries of cleanliness may look cute on the container, but hokey smokes...they are powerful on the nostrils and the throat. "Use in a well ventilated space' really means well ventilated!  Fumes...blech! But  my tiles are sparkling and I'm happy!!), a couple loads of laundry, the creation of a stack of ironing, and rescuing my husband from a flat tire on his training ride, which now has to be reschedule for tomorrow, and doing some 'nanocomposite' editing, my attention has turned to cards.  Have to use the new goodies, right?

So, because I know everyone is busy with summer activities, I'll keep prattling to a minimum.

Card #1 was inspired by deetails from TIME OUT Challenge #10, where possibilities galore can be found in this amazing photo:


The striped wall, the arrow on the back right, and several colours inspired my image choices, which I then paired with retrosketches #125



NOTE:  Honoured and delighted to be receive a Retrosketches Shout Out for this card. THANK  YOU!!

My second card is, well...let's just say some lessons learned.  The lovely colours and photo at The Card Concept Challenge #15


was a 'so want to do,' but...no aqua or lime inks/papers in my collection. Then I remembered: the Gelato set I bought, which had precisely the colours required.  Of course, being gelato-clueless (I did watch a video, but not with particularly rapt attention), I took them to task with my new TH striped stencil.  Ummm...gelatos and narrow stencils don't work together that easily, however I persevered.  Next up, I embossed one of the pretty flowers from STAMPlorations Boxed Blooms, and gelato-ed it.  A bit of a cramped space for blending with fingertips...I wasn't going to be deterred my mission.  Gelatos all the way - coupled with a much  better understanding of how to use - or rather, not use, them.  They are quite cool and I have ideas for showcasing them 'properly'.  My card turned out okay, I think...it's kind of 'funky' in a clean and layered fashion.  My layout comes from CAS(E) this Sketch #86



The aqua and lime smerged a bit on the stripes, but hopefully they're still distinct enough
to see the colours.

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments add joy to my day!








18 comments:

Deepti said...

Superb!! Ur cards are so stunning :) love how u were inspired but the big arrow on the photo inspiration and boxed blooms is so beautifully colored, love it !

Leigh Penner said...

Wonderful cards! I especially love your take on the CTS sketch!

Darnell said...

Two more cool cards, Carol! I love the chevrons and arrows of your TOC card and I think you did a beautiful job with your inaugural outing using Gelatos! I've tried using them a couple of times with zero success, but I have seen so many cards with such pretty results, that I haven't given up yet!! Hugs, Darnell

Kylie said...

Oh yeah, your card totally worked out okay....more than okay! Both your cards are a feast for the eyes. Love the inspiration that just jumps off the page at me every time I stop by. :)

Kim M said...

Wonderful cards, Carol! I think you succeeded with the gelatos. Looks good to me. :-). I have yet to get any of these and try them out. Maybe one day. :-)

sandie said...

wonderful cards Carol. I love how out photo inspired you and the embossing on the kraft is something I haven't seen before-thanks for joining us at TIME OUT x

Susanne Vargas said...

Love all those arrows around the speech bubble. Great take on both challenges!
And your first Gelato experiment turned out fabulously! Keep on playing with them!

(Btw, thank you for encouraging me to enter a card I made recently at a challenge. I choose not to, though, because it was a CAS Challenge and I felt my card wasn't CAS enough... But I'm glad you thought of me because I'm not always aware of all the challenges!)

Anita in France said...

What a cool take on the Time Out inspiration, Carol ... the embossed chevrons over the DP are fabulous (I have this EF ... it's underused!) and I love all those bold, bright arrows! Your gelato experiment worked a treat ... this delicate bloom is just lovely! Hugs, Anita :)

Kay Miller said...

Oh look at these will you! Fabulous work!! The first card is such a fun interpretation of the sketch! Love the little arrows! So creative! The second one is just lovely! I loved the smerged stripes! See I learned a new word today! I will have to try smerging too! :D haha! Seriously, love that card! The sponging around the flower is smergtastic!! ;)

Gerrina said...

What a great card with the arrows! Love the way you used the chevrons as background and in the emmbossed piece! Thank you for taking the TIME OUT and join us!

Shannon J said...

Wait just one minute!! Didn't you say, oh, not that long ago, that you and chevrons did not have a very good relationship?!! I have been skeptical of those claims, and this is proof positive that your relationship could not be better!! Love the background, and the embossed piece that so naturally goes with it! The arrows are just plain fun! And, okay, you are SO innovative!! You used gelatos to achieve the colour requirement - and oh my, what a beautiful result!! Love how the colours just melt together behind the white embossed image. Ga-ga-gorgeous!!!
ps...I nearly did myself in with the three dishes I had to wash tonight! Pa-the-tic!!!!!

~amy~ said...

Both cards are wonderful...love the use of the arrows on the first one, and love the bloom on the 2nd one.

Kim S said...

Fabulous bold arrows and I love all of the chevrons!

Beverley said...

Two FABulous cards. Love how you used the TO inspiration photo :) Thanks for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the challenge. Hugs Bev x

Carole said...

Two gorgeous cards...love the aqua and lime design.

Greta said...

The first card is such a creative use of the sketch & your second one is just too beautiful--love them, Carol!

Dana said...

Fabulous cards!!! The stripes and gelatos ... I like!!! Whether you used them right or not, it totally works!!! And the first card!! LOVE!!! The colors, dies, chevrons!! In fact i love the chevrons on the kraft, is that an embossing folder?? Stencil?? What brand is it!!! You used it perfectly!!!

Unknown said...

Great cards and love how you used the colors. Thanks for playing along with us at The Card Concept.