Friday, December 30, 2016

Unicorn...Inkspirational Challenge #125~Photo Inspiration

Happy New Year's Eve, my wonderful friends!

I've been at my mom's since last Friday (staying until Monday) and oh. my. stars! Having a BLAST!  All kinds of 'going, going, going' at full throttle with my niece and nephew (Aunty c isn't as 'bendable' as she once was, but getting some great exercise trying to be *grin*), engaging in shenanigans galore, and spoiled and pampered with oodles upon oodles of cuddles and giggles. Blessed? Only exponentially so!

Time for a new challenge over at Inkspirational Challenge #125, where we're inviting you to draw inspiration from this dazzling photo.  With New Year's but a few hours away, 'tis a most fitting glitzy, glamorous image, isn't it?


I don't send many (or any, come to think of it...hmmmm), New Year's cards, so I departed from the 'theme' and focused on the colours, shimmer and sparkle.  My card was designed for my husband's niece - beautiful, sweet 19-year-old Willa - who lost her mom (my husband's sister) in early November.  Willa *loves* unicorns, having quite the collection, predominately of the 'plush' variety. Instead of something 'practical' for Christmas, we decided to give her something that, hopefully, would touch her heart: a sterling silver unicorn she could wear as a pendant on a necklace or a charm on a bracelet. We won't discuss the sleuthing and nail-biting that went on behind the scenes in trying to find this for her....but I will say I received impressive above-and-beyond service from a shop here in Canmore. Incredibly helpful; incredibly 'speedy'; incredibly understanding of 'why' I 'needed' this specific gift....

Initially, a more 'traditional' Christmas card was in the works, but after seeing...and musing...about the photo inspiration, "this" just had to happen. And I'm glad it did. She was thrilled...and seeing her thrilled, melted my heart...and my husband's, too....

Here's the card and gift ensemble....


and the card on its own...


Please drop in at Inkspirational to see the dazzling delights my sweet teammates (love to all of you; so fortunate to be part of the Ink family!) have created:


To all of my wonderful blog friends and visitors: thank you for your wonderful support and encouragement in 2016. May I continue to be blessed with your companionship in 2017!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Also sharing at:








23 comments:

Nonni said...

What a wonderful gift to that girl and no god er she loved it! All the shine in the card looks amazing and I like the clean layout. Happy 2017 to you Carol!

Rose said...

You are simply amazing Carol! Such a gorgeous meaningful gift & equally wonderful card! No wonder she loved it! I hope you have a wonderful New Year's Eve!

sandie said...

What a gorgeous card and gift. Adore the sparkle. Have a wonderful New Year and great we all love being in the Ink team x

Anita in France said...

What a wonderful gift and card for your niece, Carol ... so meaningful and special ... no wonder she was thrilled! Hugs, Anita :)

Lynn said...

Oh Carol. What a heartfelt gift. I'm sure your niece will treasure it for many years to come. Love her gorgeous card. Amazing!

Jeanne said...

Your kindness and generosity knows no bounds, Carol. What a wonderful, amazing and meaningful gift. And card. Wow. This will be treasured by Willa. Thank you so much for sharing this gift and the backstory. Happy New Year to you, my sweet friend! hugs!

Darlene said...

This is fabulous Carol! Both the card and the gift are beautiful ... both will be treasured I'm sure! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘SILVER & GOLD’ challenge! We hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

Shauna said...

This is lovely Carol! The unicorn is so unique and I love it paired with the gold polka dots!
I am glad that you are able to spend some time with your mom. Have a lovely new years day!
- Shauna

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card, and so thoughtful to match it up with the special gift. I am sure she loves it, so sorry for her, and your loss xx

Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Luv
Lols x x x

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Such an elegant unicorn! And what an awesome piece of jewelry! No wonder your niece was ecstatic! So sad what she has to deal with! Lets hope the New Year will be kind to her (and to you too, of course!

Bobby said...

I'm glad you're getting plenty of family time, Carol. The unicorn charm is lovely and meaningful to your niece I'm sure as is the special unicorn card to go with it.

Marina said...

What a fabulous card to go with a thoughtful gift.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome personalized gift and Inspired card love the meaning for both. Looking forward to 2017 and your creations happy new year!

Amelia Breytenbach said...

This is gorgeous. Fantastic gift and card. Thanks for sharing with us at Double "D" Challenge.
Amelia (Double "D" Challenge Design Team)

Pia Larsen said...

The unicorn necklace is gorgeous. It saddens my heart to hear of her loos, but can tell she has the most wonderful family to support her.
I too don't send/use New Year's cards unless we are going out for New Years Eve and need a hostess gift. But Pepsi is scared senseless of fireworks, so we always stay home for a gourmet dinner, good champagne and NO fireworks ;)

Susanne Vargas said...

What a thoughtful and beautiful card and gift! Willa is fortunate to have you in her life!

Brenda said...

Happy New Year Carol! I can't believe your not home and having loads of fun and still find time to be crafty!!! Love your card too my friend. I am organizing my stamps and dies and working on my New Year's card so I can get them out! I have a while right?!!!! lol Hugs, Brenda

Kim Heggins said...

Wonderful card...just love your sweet unicorn, so clever and beautiful. Happy New Year.

Kathy Krug said...

Wonderful story and great card. Thanks for sharing your design with us at Double D Challenge Blog. We hope to see your creations in future challenges.
Kathy DD DT

Leslie Miller said...

You're a good and kind and thoughtful aunt. I'm sorry to hear of Willa's loss, and I know how she must have delighted in your gift and card. I'm quite taken with your card. The simplicity is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us at Double D!

Tamie said...

your unicorn is simply stunning! Clean, simple and fabulous! Happy 2017! Thank you so much for sharing your creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks Anything Goes Challenge.

Tamie DT

Shelly said...

FABulous card! Love your unicorn!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

OK, this is fabulous, and you made me cry. What a beautiful, loving, meaningful gift for your niece. You have a beautiful heart...